Summer baby, August Fox, was born to parents Colin and Leah. Leah being a social media blogger, director and owner of ‘The Dearest Days’, it wasn’t an option not to have such a special moment in their life documented. Both Leah and Colin may have just been the calmest and most zen parents I have ever met. Entering their hospital room I was welcomed by the relaxing sounds of Bon Ive, Leah and Colin both relaxed and in complete control.

August was a little overcooked, conceived a few weeks after his due date. Once Leah was in labour his birth came quickly. Unfortunately due to this I missed the main event by minutes. I suppose babies come when they want to, as much as you prepare and pack all your gear into your car weeks prior. It’s the most unplanned part of this job but I love how it keeps me on my toes.


The day after August was born I visited the family in hospital to capture the sibling meet between August and older sister Eva. Eva was very excited to meet her new baby brother, coming into the room with a ‘I love you’ ballon and new soft toy for August. Eva still pointing to Leah’s stomach saying “baby” was suprised to see her new little brother all wrapped up in the bassinet. August, less than one day old, was already so curious and alert to this surrounding. He received nothing short of a hundred kisses from sister Eva.




How do you feel when your boss asks you to photograph the birth of his first baby? 50% excited and 50% pressure is on… ha!

I have loved working for Clayton for 3 years now and was so excited when I found out his wife Mel was pregnant after they had been trying for some time. Clayton was the tattooed toughie, coming to work on his Harley, but gosh would he soon melt into a puddle on the floor and become the biggest softie for his own baby.

When I arrived at the hospital for the birth I was taken into a waiting room because Mel had to go in for a earlier cesarean. I waited for about 2 hours before I got a text from Clayton that he had to go with the baby to get some check ups and Mel was in the room now by herself. Unsure whether I should go into the room and at least reassure Mel I was there or let her be private, I decided to at least knock on the door and let her know I was happy to wait with her or down the hall.

 I opened the door and before I got a word in Mel reached out her hand. I ran up to her and have her a squeeze as she broke down into tears. All being such an emotional experience and now not being in this room by herself unsure of the state of her new baby was overwhelming. Reassuring her that her new little boy was alright I showed Mel pictures Clayton was sending me to relieve the worry of not knowing.

Mel and I spent a few hours together, we chatted about pregnancy, my week, her week, boys, food and all those important things. All while consuming about 4 litres of water from copious refills of the very small plastic hospital cups.  

When Clayton arrived in the room with Phoenix, Mel and I both breathed out a sign of with relief. Stuck in a gaze as we met this small and delicate little being, already so fascinated in his surroundings.